Thursday, May 03, 2018

my maia quilt

Recently, I've been putting my stitching time into the baby quilt.
I've been using red thread to outline the applique shapes and also to quilt in a dense pebble grid.

The texture of this piece is the most important thing.
Those applique shapes are velvet.. the grey and tan shapes dyed with plants.
It's an easy project to work on when I am traveling - not too big.
6 months so far of work on this piece
(the baby is 15 months and walking)

We visited our Toronto babies over the weekend.
Finally the ice is melting, and I photographed it from the car window
when we drove north and home.
The ice patterns remind me of the applique shapes
in my maia quilt,
 
and the texture of the stitching
reminds me of nature's way with small repeated marks.
Big sister liked the velvet dots on the quilt
and sang to them as she touched them one by one.


'watch the water glitter with excitement.
when we cut below the silver skin of the surface
the center retains its fluidity'

13 comments:

Liz A said...

I can well imagine small fingers stroking the velvet nap ... and exploring the pebbled texture of your close quilting. Thank you for sharing the echoes of land in Maia's quilt, showing us your loves

Tina said...

Love this quilt, the quilting is something she will run her little finger across until they are all grown and remember her grandma every time. I am in love with the velvet symbols. Did you place them arbitrarily or in a pattern you had in mind. As always, thank you for sharing

Mo Crow said...

what a beauty!

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

It's gorgeous and your sweet granddaughter will love it. Her little fingers will explore every inch. I adore your stitching. Great idea to use velvet for the appliqué pieces.

Els said...

Ahhhh Judy, the TEXTURE of that quilt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(want to TOUCH it !!!)

Jacqui said...

Your images are always so inspiring to me. I always think what a great deal of time it must take you to do these posts and am grateful for your generous heart. Thank you for sharing in such wonderful detail.

Roxanne said...

A precious legacy in cloth and words.

Judy Martin said...

Tina

the applique shapes are inspired by an American folk quilt from late 1800's and kuba applique on skirts (men's and women's) from Africa
It was a game to place them....an arbritary taking turns kind of game. I pre-cut the borders and drew the shapes free-hand with pencil. First two folk art - then two kuba - then another folk art, then another kuba. until I filled the border cloth. I also added two or three dots in between each turn.
So there was really no plan - it was very intuitive and playful. Just the borders were appliqued and then stitched around a blank central square.

I basted velvet squares of cloth so that more than one shape was included in the same colour, again taking turns between the grey, tan and the reds. I made sure that each border had a fair amount of red.

Once the applique was completed, I drew in more dots here and there to fill the empty space, and used the scraps of velvet to complete them.
It was all a game...all very fun and carefree, and yet very slow and methodical at the same time.

The texture of this baby quilt is beautiful.
Thanks for all comments. love you
xoxo

Unknown said...

I love your work so very much ... full of heart and soul. This piece I think will be loved for generations.

Ms. said...

She sang to the velvet dot!
(((((sigh)))))

Tina said...

Judy, thank you. What a great quilt and so much fun. I love the ideas,

Velma Bolyard said...

so beautiful here. ice out is always so exciting!

Marta said...

So beautiful. Will bring much joy to all who see it.